Gas and tummy trouble is very common for a newborn baby because of their immature digestive system. Nobody can understand the cries of your baby better than their parents. Every parent should know “What is Gripe Water?”.
Luckily the medical research department has discovered the gripe water that helps to soothe colic, hiccups, and many other stomach discomforts that irritates their tummy.
What is gripe water?
It is an over-the-counter liquid supplement of sodium bicarbonate and many herbs such as ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, clove, dill, lemon balm, pepper and more. From ancient times, people use ginger and cinnamon to soothe nausea and vomiting caused by gas.
Gripe water is not made of alcohol, gluten, dairy, parabens, soy.
Gripe water helps to get rid of hiccups, fussiness, colic, gas. It is also known as one of the healthy home remedies for teeth pain. Continuous hiccups and gas can cause discomfort as the muscles in the abdomen contract quickly and repeatedly in the body of your baby.
A baby experiences many stomach discomfort when the baby unable to pass gas. Your baby may cry for several hours over days or weeks.
Is gripe water safe for your baby?
According to the research of Puducherry, almost more than two-third of mothers of infants of ages 1 to 6 months believe in gripe water. They also have admitted that it is safe for their baby also.
Well, safety totally depends on the ingredients of gripe water. But I will suggest you take advice from your doctor before you use the gripe water for your baby. Alcohol-based gripe water is never healthy and safe for your baby. But if your gripe water is full of natural ingredients then it is safe for your baby.
It helps to strengthen the digestive system that helps to prevent stomach aches also. Also, in many countries, the gripes come in both the original formulation and the alcohol-free version.
Also, sucrose-containing gripe water is not healthy for regular consumption. Because regular consumption of sugary products can cause many health problems to your baby.
How you should give the gripe water to your baby?
- It is very important to all the facts about it. So make sure that you are sure about all label of the bottle. Because it is very important to know all about the ingredients. Read carefully all about the ingredients of your gripe water.
- Make sure you are taking proper advice from your doctor before you feed your baby. Your doctor may not give you permission to use it. So take an appointment before you use it.
- Also, make sure that this is not harming your baby also. It can cause many health issues also such as vomiting, allergies, and more. But according to the research, the risk of allergy and other problems is very low.
What is the risk if gripe water?
Well, the risk factors are very low and it is not likely to cause any health issues. But very few parents have experienced some health issues such as:
- It may cause an allergic reaction to your baby
- Also, it may develop some bacteria into the stomach of your baby
- If you are giving too soon to your baby after birth then it may delay the milk supply
- Watery eyes
- Swelling of the lips or tongue
I have discussed that the risk factors are very low. But if you are experiencing any of these symptoms then you need to make an appointment with your doctor right away. Your doctor may help you to guide your best to relive your baby health.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms then don’t try to avoid them. The symptoms can indicate other health problems also.
How does it work?
Generally, the gripe water helps to soothe stomach aches caused by colic, hiccups, and gas. It helps to stop the gas buildup in the stomach of your baby. Gripe water is rich in natural ingredients that are known to relieve nausea and vomiting caused by stomach gas.
How you should use it?
It is very important to know the right serving also. So make sure you are aware of the quantity of gripe water. You need to read carefully all the instructions on the label of it.
The serving you use per application is based on the age of your baby. I suggest you use gripe water 6 times with the following dosage such as:
- Newborn (2 weeks to 1 month) – 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml)
- 1 month to 6 months – 1 teaspoon (5.0 ml)
- 6 months and older – 2 teaspoons (10.0 ml)
- Adults – 2 tablespoons (30 ml)
Alternatives of gripe water
So here I will discuss some quick alternatives that will help your baby to relieve the stomach discomfort such as:
- Do a soft and gentle massage in the tummy of your baby. Massage helps to soothe the stomach cramps of your baby.
- You can change the milk brand of your baby. The brand of milk you used may not suit your baby. So you can change the milk brand of your baby also for a few days.
- You can rub the back of your baby when he/she is sleeping in your back.
- Swaddling your baby can help to get rid of stomach discomfort due to gas.
All these alternatives are very safe for your newborn’s health. So can try these alternatives to relieve your baby.
It is a great way to soothe your newborn’s stomach discomfort. If it has alcohol, paraben and dairy products then it can be very harmful for your newborn’s health.
But usually, it is made with natural ingredients and herbs that are rich in health benefits. Research has shown that the ingredients can vary based on the brand and also where you buy it. So make sure you are aware of these facts of it.
But if your baby is experiencing these symptoms continuously then I will recommend you to make an appointment with your doctor. Your doctor may help you find out the real cause of the stomach discomfort of your baby. So yes gripe water is very safe for your baby. You can trust it for your newborn’s health.