LASIK eye surgery is one of the known and most commonly performed laser refractive surgery
to perfect vision problems. LASIK or laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis can be an alternative to contact lenses. The surgery helps to change the shape of the eye cornea. All laser vision correction surgeries help to reshape the cornea ( the clear covering on the front of the eye ) so that light traveling through it is properly focused onto the retina located in the back of the eye.
Advantages of the LASIK eye surgery
- According to research from the USA, about 90% of patients who receive LASIK eye surgery will achieve a very cleared and desired vision.
- Vision is corrected and cleared nearly by the day after the surgery of LASIK.
- People who have surgery won’t be able to walk alone on road, but most of the ophthalmologists suggest that patients can continue their regular activity after as soon as the day after the surgery unless the patient has an especially unhygienic and dirty workplace. After having the LASIK surgery patient should take some simple care to avoid any pollution or dust.
- In the surgery, no bandages or stitches are required.
- LASIK surgery is a very quick recovery procedure. The surgery is very safe and secure. Based on medical research with the surgery is estimated to be less than 1%, which makes the LASIK surgery very safe.
- The surgery helps to give long-lasting or permanent results.
Disadvantages of LASIK eye surgery
Despite so many advantages of the surgery, there is some disadvantage such as:
- Many people with the surgery have experienced that the surgery causes a temporary decrease in tear production. They have felt some unusual dryness after the surgery for almost 6 months.
- After having eye surgery many people have experienced double vision, glare, and halos. They have noticed light sensitivity also.
- During the surgery, if the surgeon removes too little tissues from the eye, the patient won’t get the clearer vision results you were the desire for.
- They remove some tissues and can cause astigmatism during in the surgery, which may require additional surgery or contact lenses.
- During the time when the doctor creates the flap because the surgery is very complex technically.
- You may feel weak and may experience nausea after the surgery.
Is LASIK surgery painful?
In most cases, it does not hurt during or after the procedure of PRK or LASIK surgery. After the procedure, mild pain and numbness in the eyes are very common. Some people feel discomfort after the surgery, but it is temporary. Most of the surgeon gives medication after the surgery to feel relax and painless. Your doctor may give you some medicines with some eye drops to treat mild pain and discomfort.
If you are experiencing any type of deep pain and discomfort for a long time, then you should seek immediate medical treatment. Your doctor may help you to get rid of the painful situation.
It is a very known and popular elective procedure and has been performed for almost 25 million times in the people of the USA.
The condition that increases risks
Your doctor may not suggest you do the laser treatment if you have certain conditions such as:
- Persistent dry eyes.
- Hormonal changes.
- If you are in medication.
- Lid disorder.
- Inflammation of the cornea.
- Eye infection.
- Glaucoma or cataracts.
How should you prepare for LASIK eye surgery?
It is very important to know how should you prepare for the surgery. Before the surgery, you may meet with a coordinator or eye surgeon. Your surgeon may clear all the doubts and queries you may have in your mind. The surgeon may ask all the health reports such as corneal thickness, refraction, corneal mapping, and puplin dilation.
During the surgery
Usually, the surgery takes only 30 minutes to complete the procedure. Your surgeon may give you some medicine to make you feel relax. After that, your surgeon will place a drop and uses an instrument to hold the eyelids open. Your surgeon may place a ring in your eye just before cutting the corneal flap may cause a feeling of pressure and your vision may feel blurry.
After that, your surgeon will use a cutting blade to cut the smaller hinged flap away from the front of your eye. The surgeon will reshape the parts of the cornea.
During the procedure, a tiny amount of corneal tissue is removed and the surgeon lays the flap back into place. During the procedure, you will be asked to focus on a point of light which will help you to keep your eye fixed.
Cost of LASIK
The average cost is $2,000 of LASIK surgery per eye in the US according to 2019. The amount is little bit higher than the average price for LASIK performed in the US. It is also very important to remember that these prices are for LASIK performed for one year only.