COPD is a very common lung disease. COPD is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs. COPD makes hard to take a breath. COPD diagnosis is confirmed by a test called spirometry which actually measures how deeply can patient breath and how fast air can move into and out of the lungs.
COPD has 2 forms such as :
1. Chronic bronchitis, which involves a long term cough with mucus.
2. Emphysema, which involves damage to the lungs over time.
SYMPTOMS OF COPD
Many people do not experience symptoms of COPD in the early stages of COPD disease. Many times symptoms may be mistaken for another serious disease. So it is very important to find out the real reason behind the symptoms. The most common symptoms of COPD are such as :
1. Problems in taking breath or breathing problems.
2. Heavy cough.
3. Mucus production.
4. Frequent respiratory infection.
6. Chest pressure.
7. Body weakness or loss of muscle.
8. Unwanted weight loss.
10. Swelling on the ankle, legs.
CAUSES OF COPD: Smoking is the main cause of COPD. The more a patient smokes, the more likely the COPD develops. Research has shown that the lung damage that leads to COPD is mainly caused by a long-time habit of smoking cigarettes. But this is not totally true, because people who smoke cigarettes only about 20 to 30% of smokers may have COPD. Even normal healthy people can suffer if they keep breathing in someone else smoke. But not all smokers get COPD. An individual who has worked for many years in a polluted and dusty such as chemical factory, the coal industry, and the cement industry are at risk of COPD.
Spending a long time with a cooking fire without proper ventilation can have COPD. they should use protection to avoid the gases from the stove. COPD is very common in those people who all are older than 40 because it usually takes a lot of time to damage the lung.
Many people with COPD experience exacerbations. During which their symptoms become worse than usual. COPD is not a genetic disease, so it is very much possible to stop the disease of COPD.
Diagnosis of COPD: If someone is having all the symptoms of COPD, he/she should immediately contact the doctor. At the very first doctor will order to have many tests to identify the real condition of COPD. The doctor will order the test of spirometry by a small machine. It measures how well the lungs are functioning by taking the air we breathe. The doctor will definitely try to treat COPD in its first and early stages.
TREATMENT OF COPD: The very shocking thing about COPD is, COPD is not curable. But it does have some medicines that can help to live a better life. People can live their life properly by following some rules in their lifestyles such as a healthy diet, proper medicine and some protection from smoke and polluted air. Having COPD it doesn’t mean that people can’t live their life fully.
Here are some tips to control COPD such as :
1. AVOID SMOKING: As smoking is the primary reason for the COPD. People with COPD will have to quit smoking permanently. A smoking habit can make worse the situation of COPD.
2. TAKE SUGGESTION FROM DOCTOR: For the disease of COPD patients should immediately contact the specialist of COPD. The doctor will guide you the best.
3. MEDICATIONS: People with COPD should follow all the medicine and treatments by the doctor. All the medicine for COPD can reduce the symptoms and medicine can help improve a better quality of life. A simple carelessness can make your lungs worse. So always be alert about the medication of COPD.
4. HAVE A GREAT DIET: A diet with high protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals can help to treat the COPD. The patient should always avoid unhealthy or junk food. Fiber contains a food chart that helps a lot to treat COPD right way. Soluble fiber is very healthy for lung health.
5. VACCINES FOR COPD: COPD patients have a high chance to have a viral infection because of lung pollution and bacteria. The doctor will order to have a flu vaccine to treat the COPD every year.
COPD requires proper treatment and medications. To control and manage the COPD patient should take care of his/her health seriously. Some healthy habits can change your life like 15 minutes workout, healthy diet, 4-liter drinking water, protection against pollution and more.